Sunday, February 21, 2016

Alexis Salazar
21 February 2016
PHI 101
Blog 1


  Is everything a matter of opinion? (5-4b) After going through the chapters I found myself relating to Plato more than the other philosophers. I found him to be extremely interesting, learning about his life, theories, opinions, ideas. I felt like we had similar beliefs. I believe anything is possible, and with possibility there could be a great outcome. Perhaps there is no infinite answer. I believe majority of things are made up of facts (knowledge). Every question, theory, and answer has an opinion to it. Without opinion, majority of us could hardly make it through the day. Most of us seek for answers from trusted ones. Our opinions matter in class, at work, in public, with family, friends, science. So maybe everything is a matter of opinion. But that is only my thought. Though it being an opinion, it is not one hundred percent the truth, in most occasions. As where knowledge lies the truth. Not everyone in this world will agree with one another there will be disagreements. And not everyone in this world has to be knowledgeable to withhold an opinion. Growing up in middle school and high school I was always so quiet and embarrassed to speak my thoughts because I was afraid what the cooler kids might think of me as a person. Not until I got to college I realized everyone has a right to think what they feel, and also speak what they feel. There is not always a right or wrong answer. My instructors would encourage and give positive feedback to me and other students, even if our answers or opinions were not accurate enough. Plato states, “Only in the realm of becoming can opinions change from true to false.”

Being the person I am, I have to know everything, I question everything, I want the truth. I know there is so much to life, and I think that is where me and Plato relate. I felt like he was very knowledgeable at his time I enjoy his way of thinking outside of the box. It got me to this question, are we born with wisdom? Perhaps not. For a few years now I often wondered why am I not like everybody else? After overcoming the truth, there are many types of different people in this world. Not everyone thinks and feels the same way towards certain topics or ideas. I believe as we grow and go through life the experiences and memories we overcome challenges us as humans and sometimes forces us to be knowledgeable. We become wise after the years. Not all people are wise. Aging and going through life as it comes make us the person we are. There are people that are wiser than others, where as there are a few unintelligent people. For example, the people who sin, the people taking drugs and depressants, non-believers, etc. Are unable to process things clearly majority of the time, and have no part in reality.


(503 words)

12 comments:

  1. When I plugged your blog into my word counter I came up with (494 words) you have (503 words) Minor discrepancy
    I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors in your work.The clarity of your work was evident, everything flowed and you did not seem to have a dead spot or one in which you didn't transition well from thought to thought. The author did answer his/her question. In some ways the question was opinion based but further more proved the author's overall point.In some parts of the example portion I was lost on whether you were arguing that life is all about opinion or isnt. Your examples overall were good. As far as my own "opinion" I think in some and most facets of life decisions, and outcomes are opinion based. I think most "noteworthy" opinion usually come from a root of knowledge. Some areas in life such as Math and Science there is no real opinion but cold hard facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response, I would say I have to agree with your feedback. I acknowledge your honesty and did not realize the word shortage mistake on my behalf with word doc. I agree, I probably didn't make it clear enough in my example should have clarified more. I also agree with you that things such as math and science only have true facts

      Delete
    2. Tameal the Blogger ClassPHI101,

      Although your peer-review is acceptable, please make sure you use the template I provided for all your future peer-reviews.

      Delete
    3. Tameal the Bkogger Class PHI101,

      Although your peer-review is acceptable, next time please use the template I provided.

      Delete
  2. Is everything a matter of opinion? [(5-4b)]←(It’s not clear why there is a source citation here.) After going through the chapters I found myself relating to Plato more than the other philosophers. I found him to be extremely interesting, learning about his life, theories, opinions, [and] ideas. I felt like we had similar beliefs. [I believe anything is possible,]←(Can you provide a source citation to support that this is also what Plato believed?) and with possibility there could be a great outcome. Perhaps there is no infinite answer. [I believe majority of things are made up of facts (knowledge).]←(This is a bit tricky to explain, but depending on what you think facts/knowledge is, you and Plato might not actually think the same thing. Bear with me while I explain: ‘Facts’ one might say, are states of affairs. They are expressed by true sentences. So, for example, if I say that “We live in a heliocentric universe,” this is a true sentence, and it expresses the fact that we live in a heliocentric universe. If this fact is believed and one has good reasons to believe in that beliefs about this fact is true, then we would say that the person who has this justified, true, belief has the knowledge that we live in a heliocentric universe. In other words, we would say that the person who has this justified, true, belief knows that we live in a heliocentric universe. Now, given that this is what knowledge is (justified, true, beliefs), one might say that Plato believed that the world was “made up of” knowledge. By saying this, one would be saying that Plato thinks that the world just is a bunch of justified, true, beliefs. Saying this about Plato would not be entirely incorrect, since Plato thought that the only things that were “real” were Platonic forms, and Platonic forms are things that exist only in the intelligible world, i.e., the world of the mind rather than the physical world (the perceptible world). In this sense, we can say that Plato was an Idealist. He thought that the only things that “really” existed were ideas. I’m not sure if this is what you also think.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (You seem to be starting a different thought here. If so, I would start a new paragraph)→[Every question, theory, and answer has an opinion to it. Without opinion, [the] majority of us c[w]ould hardly make it through the day. Most of us seek for answers from trusted ones. Our opinions matter in class, at work, in public, with family, friends, [and in] science. [So maybe everything is a matter of opinion. But that is only my thought.]←(It’s not clear if you think this is the same as everything being made up of facts (knowledge), as you suggested earlier. If so, there is an inconsistency in your view because we typically think that there is a difference between fact/knowledge and opinion. Plato thought there was a difference between knowledge and opinion too.) Though it [something] being an opinion [delete comma] [does not mean] it is not one hundred percent the trueth, in most occasions. [As where knowledge lies the truth.]←(I’m not sure what you meant to say here, but perhaps you meant to say something like, “The truth lies in what is known.” If so, can you explain why this is the case or how this is so? Also, it’s not clear to me why you have this phrase in here? What purpose does it serve in this paragraph. It seems to go against everything else you are speaking of in this paragraph—all the stuff you are saying about opinion.) Not everyone in this world will agree with one another[;] there will be disagreements. [And not everyone in this world has to be knowledgeable to withhold an opinion.]←(Did you mean to use the word ‘withhold’ here?) Growing up in middle school and high school I was always so quiet and embarrassed to speak my thoughts because I was afraid [of] what the cooler kids might think of me as a person. Not until I got to college [did] I realized [that] everyone has a right [to think what they feel, and also speak what they feel.]←(What do you mean you speak of thinking what we feel or speaking what we feel? There are several different ways in which one might interpret this. Can you please clarify what you might mean, perhaps give a very clear, concrete example of what you might be speaking of?) [Sometimes] [t]here is not always a right or wrong answer. My instructors would encourage and give positive feedback to me and other students, even if our answers or opinions were not accurate enough. [Plato states, “Only in the realm of becoming can opinions change from true to false.”]←(This is not a proper use of a quote. You should only use quoted material when providing textual support or when emphasizing a particular way that an author stated something. In other cases, you should paraphrase and provide a source citation. You should never let the quote do the explaining or use a quote as if it were your own words, even if you provide citation information. However, this is an interesting passage to bring up within the context of everything else you are speaking on in this passage. One thing that would help is if you gave an explanation of why you think this passage is relevant to everything else you are speaking of here. You seem to be suggesting something about all the things your are saying in this paragraph regarding opinions, but you more so gesture at it or imply it rather than state it explicitly. I want you to state it explicitly.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [Being the person I am, I have to know everything, I question everything, [and] I want the truth. I know there is so much to life, and I think that is where me and [why I can relate to] Plato relate.]←(I think this is a great reason for being able to relate to Plato, and perhaps Socrates, Plato’s mentor who plays a central figure in many of Plato’s works. It is Socrates who Plato portrays as an inquisitive person, who asks a lot of questions in search of truth and knowledge. However, consider this. Would sharing similar traits as someone else entail that you and that person have the same beliefs? I would think not. You and some other person might share many of the same characteristics or traits. You may both be inquisitive, have a concern for truth, and be out-going. You might even arrive at similar solutions to the same kinds of problems. But even if all of this were true, you may not share the same beliefs. It could also be the case that you are very different from someone in terms of one’s characteristics or personality traits, yet you both share many of the same beliefs.) I felt like he was very knowledgeable at [for] his time[.] I enjoy[ed] his way of thinking outside of the box.

    ReplyDelete